Sunday, March 24, 2013

Going off the rails on a crazy train

I think I'm going off the deep end.  I don't want to feel American anymore.  Don't get me wrong - I'm patriotic.  I know I'm blessed to live in a country where I am free to worship God, send my kids to school, have easy access to healthcare, and no shortage of food to eat.  But at the same time our culture is so rushed, self-absorbed, over-indulgent, pre-occupied with meaningless things.  We have too much stuff, eat too much food, watch too much tv, create too much trash.  I'm guilty and you probably are too. 
I've been purging lately.  Going through the house, filling boxes of stuff to get rid of.  It feels good - less stuff is less work.  Less to pick up, less to clean, less to wash and put away.  It's probably true my family is not completely on board with this.  I'm trying to stretch them, and they are trying to keep me grounded.  Hopefully we will find the balance, or they will just get on the crazy train with me.  It's time to get back in touch with real life.  Our stuff is such a distraction, and I'm tired of being distracted.  I want to take it all in, not watch it go by.
I leave you with these words of wisdom from Switchfoot.
"I wonder, why would I wait til I die to come alive? I'm ready now, I'm not waiting for the afterlife."

No comments:

Post a Comment