Thursday, March 1, 2012

and so it begins

I have not talked about this with anyone, really, except the bibledude.net group and Jack. Today Jack and I are beginning a mutiny against excess. I have read the book "7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess" by Jen Hatmaker (happens to be my pastor's wife) and was compelled to go on this journey the minute I started reading it. I am in the wealthiest 1% of the world. I complain that I don't have enough money for the things I want (i.e. shoes, nice vacations around the world, clothes, paying for every activity I want to force my kids to participate in, date nights with the hubby). I am rich and I tell myself I'm poor. I have everything I need, and still want more. And where is God in any of this? It's all about me & having more. Well no more! NO MORE!
Month 1 - Food. Jack & I have each chosen 7 foods that we will consume exclusively for the next 30 days. Most of the world eats this way - having a few staples that make up every meal, and if they're lucky, it's more than one meal a day. As I battle my desires to eat everything delicious, I pray that God would show me my part in serving the least. God put us here with our big, beautiful house, amazing jobs, kitchen full of food. I don't feel guilty about having these blessings from God. It is part of His plan. But I doubt He has blessed us so generously so we can hoard it all for ourselves and waste it on frivolous things while every 5 seconds a child dies due to hunger related causes. That's not the Jesus I follow.
God, use this fast (of sorts) to open my eyes. Give me your heart; give me your mind; give me your strength. Amen
If anyone wants to join me, the book & e-book are available at amazon.com and I'm more than happy to support you.

2 comments:

  1. you amaze me

    I often think about the excess we have and how we don't use it correctly. I'm excited for you in this adventure. Another friend of mine is in the same process - a declutering and minimizing to get back to where God wants her. I'm looking forward to reading more about your journey and will be praying for you in it. I may have to read the book too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Velma! I appreciate the prayers!

    ReplyDelete